Thursday, September 13, 2007

HW 5b: The age of Technology

“I blog, Therefore I Am” is a chapter which I do not agree with at all. It starts off with cartoonist Stephan Pastis talking about the relationship between comic strips and news papers. Then it goes on to talk about emphasizes that “we confront the possibility that a new communications and publishing technology- in this case blogging- will endanger massive change in our society, most especially in the role and power of the traditional mainstream media” (Kline 238). I disagree with this at all. I do not think that this will endanger massive change in our society. I feel that the new technology is a small step in a much bigger picture. I feel if we can now go on the web and look up some really interesting information about certain things then I feel we can help even save live. Technology can be a good thing and a bad thing. I like the idea of Netspeak. Netspeak is “a method of conveying texts, thoughts, and even emotions in the shortest form. Even the panel of experts at a recent Washington symposium on the language on the internet thinks it is doing more good then harm. Everything has its ups and its downs. “..Any school teacher can attest, the more kids write …. The more educated and successful they will surely be in later life” (Kline 251). I have to say that the new way of technology and the old way of books and old fashion research are two ways that the old way will never go away but the new age is coming and coming quick.